Silicon Valley Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Using bleeding-edge Unix/Linux technologies, I'm looking to design and implement full stack solutions to all your problems.
||Known to dream in C.
||In-house development utilities. Embedded Python Runtime into a larger application to allow end-user scripting. Got back into Python in 2010 after joining Luminate to support their Django-driven website.
||Perl is not evil if you agree that writing readable, maintainable Perl is a Good Thing. PerlGolf can be fun, it's just a crime to commit it.
||Smarty templates, PEAR, Zend engine C/C++ extensions, session management, LAMP solutions. Comfortable rebuilding mod_php with support for bigmath, gdlib, CURL, SQLite, or custom extensions.
||AJAX, JSON, Closure Libraries, Firebug, HTTPFox, Cross-Browser programming, JQuery, prototype.js.
||Browser-aware applets, full standalone applications, Google Guava, JSP, JSP templates, J2EE JavaBeans, Weblogic EJBs, AWT, Swing, JDBC, RMI, JNI, javax.comm, Hadoop.
||MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Cloudscape, SQLite dialects. Triggers, Data normalization skills, Complex compound queries. Light MySQL administration skills: slow query detection, hot backups, basic replication.
||Can create clean, functional HTML pages with styles abstracted into Stylesheets.
||Java and C Xerces libraries to both generate and parse (SAX and DOM) XML. Xalan for XSLT transformations, expat library for non-validating C parser.
||Read only; a familiarity with x86 assembly is useful when tracking down compiler optimization bugs. I may not know the op-codes by heart, but my Michael Abrash reference book is never far away.
||Wrote large programs in 68k assembly. As the industry moves away from low-level languages, an understanding of assembly is still a good thing to have when writing performance critical routines or driver software.
Mountain View, CA
Engineer, 7/2012 - Present
- Android, Play, Music, Closure Tools and Templates, Guava Libraries, Protocol Buffers, BigTable, Infrastructure, World Wide Deployment, Map Reduces, Big Data... And Food.
Mountain View, CA
Coder, 9/2010 - 7/2012
- Projects: Django Site Redesign, Ask Santa, Realtime Ad Serving (using Java, Hadoop, SQLAlchemy, Memcached, etc), and near-realtime Analytics and Reporting (using Amazon S3, Amazon Elastic Map Reduce, etc).
Santa Clara, CA
Principal Engineer, 11/2009 - 9/2010
Staff Engineer, 4/2008 - 12/2009
- Projects: Realtime Monitoring.
- Technologies: JQuery, prototype.js, MySQL (MegaQueries), ActiveMQ, Map Reduce, Hadoop.
Senior Engineer, 2/2006 - 4/2008
- Projects: Chatzilla, Web 2.0 Website Infrastructure.
- Technologies: Venkman, AJAX, IRC, Nagios.
San Francisco, CA
Senior Principal Wireless Platform Architect, 1/2004 - 2/2006
- Architected the abstraction of core data processing streams away from a legacy hardware collection platform.
- Implemented replacement for aforementioned legacy hardware collection platform.
- Leveraged capabilities of new hardware collection tools to provide robust datasets of greater precision, accuracy, and quality.
- Integrated new logging and reporting mechanisms into process flow to create easily defensible output.
- Maintained strictly controlled release dates to avoid impacting revenue cycles.
- This new process is used to create datasets that generate more than 15 million dollars worth of revenue annually.
Senior Software Developer, 12/2000 - 7/2001
- Responsible for application's client/server distributed architecture.
- Distributed tasks to team members best-suited to solve and implement solutions.
- Mentored junior developers, aided in integrating their work into production.
- Selected and purchased hardware for prototype systems.
- Wireless Standards: CDMA, GSM, tdMA, Amps.
Bentley Systems, Incorporated
Technical Lead, SelectServer, 1/1997 - 4/1999
- Led a team through all aspects of design, implementation, documentation, certification, and release of SelectServer ? a product binding MicroStation site administrators with Bentley Systems.
- Completely redesigned MicroStation/J?s licensing technology (node-locked and pooled) to integrate with SelectServer and dynamically report licensing statistics back to Bentley.
Software Developer, ModelServer Publisher Team, 6/1997 - 4/1998
- Responsible for administrator?s web interface to ModelServer Publisher: an HTML interface integrated directly into Netscape Enterprise Server?s own administration pages.
Technical Lead, MicroStation 95 & SE for PowerMacintosh, 1/1996 - 4/1999
- Implemented Macintosh-specific GUI layer, building some behaviors from scratch (toolboxes, dockable windows, tooltips, etc) when the MacOS did not provide a native equivalent.
- Ported and optimized MicroStation?s bytecode compiler and runtime for the PowerPC architecture.
- Added Macintosh support for RenderWare QuickVision (similar to OpenGL) rendering.
- Tracked fixes and coordinated support and priority builds for 3 years.
Software Developer, MicroStation V5, 1/1994 - 12/1995
- Created cross-platform installer technology for the Macintosh, Windows, and Unix variants of MicroStation V5.
- Quickly intimated myself with 12,000,000 lines of professional code while fixing a multitude of bugs discovered during the product?s certification phase.
B.S. Computer Science, December 1993, GPA: 3.5
Highlights: Automata Theory, Algorithms, Senior Independent Study in Image Processing.
- Governor, Toastmasters District 4, Division G, 2012-2013
- Governor, Toastmasters District 4, Area G4, 2011-2012
- Vice-President Public Relations, Macintalkers Toastmasters, 2010-2011
- Certification: Situational Leadership II, 2010
- Certification: Cloudera Certified Hadoop Developer, 2010
- Award: LiveOps Nobel Award, 2008
- Award: Bentley Service Provider Award, 1996
- Award: Bentley Pinch Hitter, 1995
- Fun: Getting checks from Donald Knuth for finding bugs in TAOCP.
- Fun: Avid participant in Peer To Peer (P2P) distributed network tool development.